Freelander By Land Rover
Bulletin Number - 0017
Issue - 1
Date - 07.02.2001
Model - Freelander
Affected Range - All Td4 diesel derivatives in VIN ranges: 1A 576764 to 1A 599999 and 1A 300000 to 1A 310902
Re-Issue Information -
KNOCKING NOISE FROM STEERING WHEEL AREA
When driving over rough surfaces, a metallic noise is heard in the region of the steering wheel / drivers airbag.
Vibration mass damper, mounted in the steering wheel, contacts fixing on underside of airbag.
Refer to the following procedure to remove material from mass damper and relieve foul condition.
1. Remove drivers airbag, Workshop Manual repair number 76.74.01 refers.
2. Referring to illustration 1, remove 3 screws securing damper to steering wheel and remove damper.
3. Referring to illustration 2, mark out the damper as shown, measuring 3mm either side of the right angle section.
4. Remove the shaded portion of material to produce a 45° chamfer.
When removing material from the damper, take care to prevent distortion of the damper mounting plate and damage to the rubber damper supports.
5. Refit the damper to the steering wheel and tighten the 3 screws to 6 Nm. When refitting the 3 screws securing the damper to the steering wheel, take care to engage the screw threads already formed in the steering wheel armature.
NOTE: Some vehicles may have velour tape applied to the damper at the location in question. This should be discarded when the damper is modified as above.
6. Refit the drivers airbag, repair number 76.74.01.
Use Complaint Code: 5D1K
Use S.R.O.: 76.74.01 Air bag - steering wheel - renew
Time allowance: 0.20Hrs
Use S.R.O.: 57.60.89/29 Mass damper - modify
Time allowance: 0.10Hrs