Freelander - Poor Demisting Performance
Bulletin Number - 0022
Issue - 1
Date - 26.06.2002
Model - Freelander
Affected Range - All derivatives fitted with Air Conditioning (A/C) within VIN range: YA 506724 to 1A 599999 and 1A 300000 to 2A 358194
POOR DEMISTING PERFORMANCE
Despite setting the heater controls to fresh air demisting, the following may occur:
- The interior windows do not demist.
- The interior windows are slow to demist.
- The interior windows misting after initially clearing.
Misting is due to excessive moisture in the vehicle, which may not be cleared when selecting fresh air demist.
Where a complaint of the above is confirmed and the vehicle is within the above VIN range, follow the rectification procedure to replace the A/C control unit and evaporator harness with a new harness now available from Land Rover Parts. The new harness activates the A/C when the air distribution control is set to the windscreen or to the feet / windscreen positions. The new specification harness has been fitted to vehicles from VIN 2A 358195, this automatically activates the A/C when the air distribution control is set to the windscreen or to the feet / windscreen positions.
NOTE: The new specification harness cannot be fitted if the vehicle has had the water valve kit installed as detailed in Technical Bulletin 0017.
1. Remove the heater controls, refer to Workshop Manual, part number LRL0350 (4 th edition), Heating and Ventilation, Controls - heater, repair number 80.10.02.
2. Remove 2 screws securing the passenger side airbag lower finisher and remove finisher.
3. Open glove box and release glove box light unit from housing.
4. Disconnect 2 Lucars from the glove box light and remove light unit.
5. Remove 4 screws securing the glove box access panel and remove panel.
6. Disconnect multiplug from the thermostat ('A' in illustration 1), and release harness from 5 retaining clips (arrowed in illustration 1).
7. Release and disconnect multiplug from heater housing (arrowed in illustration 2).
8. Remove harness from behind facia.
9. Position new harness, supplied in the kit, behind the facia.
10. Connect multiplug and secure the harness to the heater housing retaining clip.
11. Secure the harness to the evaporator housing retaining clips and connect multiplug to the thermostat.
12. Fit the glove box access panel and secure with screws.
13. Fit and connect the glove box light unit to the glove box.
14. Fit the glove box light unit and close glove box.
15. Fit the passenger side airbag lower finisher and secure with screws.
16. Connect the micro-switch multiplug on the new heater controls to the harness.
17. Fit the heater controls.
NOTE: The A/C light will not illuminate when the air distribution control is set to the windscreen or to the feet / windscreen positions.
|Part number||Description||VIN applicability|
|JTN000060||Kit-A/C Control - RH||YA 506724 to 1A 599999 & 1A 300000 to 2A 358194|
|JTN000070||Kit-A/C Control - LH||YA 506724 to 1A 599999 & 1A 300000 to 2A 358194|
Use Complaint Code: 7S5A
Use S.R.O.: 80.10.89/32
Time allowance: 1.30 Hrs