Freelander - 2.5 V6 Engine
The 2.5 V6 Engine
The award winning engine has been carefully adapted - and exhaustively tested for use in the demanding and tough multi-purpose 4x4 environment. The V6 takes Freelander to new levels of refinement, power and performance.
The new 2.5 litre V6 engine in the Freelander delivers more than enough power to impress even the most demanding drivers. Coupled with the 5-speed Steptronic Automatic transmission system, the result is an exceptionally smooth delivery of power and torque.
|No.of cylinders||6 in a V configuration|
|Compression Ratio||10.5 : 1|
|Cylinder head material||Aluminium|
|Cylinder block material||Aluminium|
|Fuelling||Sequential Fuel Injection|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Valve actuation||DOHC on hydraulic tappets|
177Ps (130kW) at 6250 rpm
|Maximum torque||240Nm at 4000 rpm|
The V6 meets demand for a Freelander that delivers even greater power and performance than previous models. This proven, powerful engine develops 177 PS at 6250 rpm and accelerates from 0-60mph in a more than respectable 10 seconds.
This level of performance is an astonishing 66% more powerful than the original Freelander 1.8i, and it also enables the new flagship for the Freelander range to distance itself from the competition with ease.
As befits a leading performer, appealing to the status-conscious driver, the V6 will be badged in an unmistakable yet dignified manner.
Part of the appeal of the V6 engine is its smooth, quiet delivery of effortless power. The engine feels relaxed and can't fail to impress on any test drive. The capabilities of Freelander are reinforced by the engine's relaxed, confident and assured performance.
Engineered for strength
The all aluminium construction of the V6 engine combines light weight with high power. The robust design easily handles the stresses that would be expected in a 4x4 environment.
Additional stiffening ribs have been built into the engine's block for extra strength. New five-layer steel head gaskets - completely rubber free, have been included for outstanding quality and reliability.
Performance is enhanced even further through the Variable Intake System (VIS) that continually adjusts itself to deliver optimum performance throughout the rev range in any conditions that Freelander is likely to meet.
A particularly useful feature is the combined Intake Manifold and plenum resonance. It provides excellent torque at low speeds.
Other performance-enhancing features include 1 split stream fuel injector and air assistance to improve idle stability and maximise fuel economy.
- An ancillary belt autotensioner system to reduce drive system noise.
- A cable-operated primary throttle to allow fine control at low engine speeds and rapid response to higher demands.
- An Idle Speed Control Valve (ISCV) regulates air demand and - when cruise control is fitted - the Cruise Pneumatic Actuator controls throttle opening. A secondary throttle regulates the air flow if traction is lost.
- Easy off-road driving - even steep ascents
- One of the lightest engines in its class
- Effortless acceleration and improved overtaking
- Low levels of noise, vibration and hardness (NVH)
- Fine control at low speeds and rapid response at high speeds
- Excellent performance when towing or carrying heavy loads - up to 2000 kg
- Effortless and agile from a standing start
- Robust engineering
- Complies with EU3 emissions regulations